Punctual and regular attendance is an extremely important part of a student’s school record. Therefore, each student should attend school each day. The following guidelines are in effect for all elementary and middle schools:
- A student who is absent from school must assume the responsibility of completing the missed assignments.
- Each student, upon returning to school within 2 days, must have a note stating the reason for his/her absence. With five consecutive absences, a doctor’s note is required for excused absences.
- Mississippi law requires that, after five (5) days of unexcused absences, these absences will be reported to the attendance officer.
In keeping with the commitment to provide the maximum amount of quality instruction and to ensure smooth dismissal processes, parents are asked to not check out students after 2:30 p.m. An early checkout disturbs the entire classroom, not just the student checking out. Please understand that students should not be checked out of school except in an emergency. Students will be released only by permission from the parent or guardian. All students must be signed out in the office before leaving the school campus early.
Excused Absences: Absences classified as excused are:
- Absences due to personal illness
- Absences due to serious illness or death in immediate family
- Other reasons deemed excused by state law and approved by an administrator
Prior to the absence, the principal may approve absences for other circumstances. A school administrator will determine whether a student’s absence is excused or unexcused. The student is responsible for contacting the teacher before or after school to acquire make-up work assignments. Work missed under an excused absence must be made up within five (5) school days of the absence or the student must make special arrangements with the teacher. A parent note can be used to excuse an absence only eight (8) days per year. Any additional absences must have a doctor’s note to be excused.
If a student exceeds 21 absences during the school year, excused or unexcused, the student may be retained. The parent may request an appeal to be determined by the attendance review committee.
Any absence from class or school that is not excused by the Attendance Office or an administrator is an unexcused absence. All unexcused absences that are not cleared upon return by an approved method will remain unexcused.