Curriculum & Instruction
Welcome to the Curriculum and Instruction Department page. The department serves the students, teachers, and administrators of the Columbus Municipal School District by providing service and support in the areas of curriculum, instruction, assessment, and professional development.
This department is dedicated to supporting our schools in providing high quality curriculum and instruction designed to ensure all students are college and career ready. A focus on college and career readiness permeates curriculum and instruction from kindergarten through 12th grade and within all the content areas.
Muti-tiered System of Supports (MTSS)
- Multi-tiered Systems of Supports Presentation (PDF)
- MTSS Documentation Packet (PDF)
- MTSS Quick Reference Guide (PDF)
- MTSS Screening Process Chart (PDF)
- RTI Quick Reference Guide (PDF)
- Parent Letter Tier II and III (PDF)
- Tier II and Tier III Intevention Documentation (PDF)
- Direct Instruction
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Literacy-Based Promotion Act Parent Information
- Literacy-Based Promotion Act Annual Report
- Dropout Prevention Plan
- ACT Prep Guide
The Office of Assessment oversees all district and state testing for the Columbus Municipal School District. The Offices of Assessment and Instruction also oversee data analysis from state and district assessments.
Assessments currently include:
- Mississippi Assessment Program (MAP/Questar) – English Language Arts and Math Grades 3-8 and High School English II and Algebra I
- Mississippi Science Test 2 (MST2) – Grades 5 & 8
- Subject Area Testing Program 2 (SATP2) – High School (English II, Algebra I, Biology I, U.S. History)
- Mississippi K-3 Assessment Support System (MKAS2) – Grades PreK, Kindergarten, and 3
- Mississippi Career Planning and Assessment System (MS-CPAS-2) – High school vocational education students
- American College Test (ACT) – Grade 11
- LAS Links Assessment System – Kindergarten-12th graders who have been identified as English language learners (ELLs)
- National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) – Grades 4 & 8 (as assigned)
- Renaissance Reading & Math Assessments (STAR) – Grades 2-10
- Renaissance Early Literacy Assessment (STAR) – Grades PreKindergarten-1
- Educational Leadership Solutions Benchmark Assessments (ELS) – Grades 2-HS subject areas
- Northwest Evaluation Association-Measures of Academic Progress (NWEA MAP) – Grades Kindergarten-10
Learning Forward Standards for Professional Learning was approved by The Commission on School Accreditation as the state standards for professional development. Columbus Municipal School District’s professional development plan follows these standards to ensure that professional learning is for educators to develop the knowledge, skills, practices, and dispositions necessary to help students perform at high levels.
CMSD has been approved to receive CEUs from MUW for Wednesday PLC meetings (school and district level, SpEd, gifted, and any other PLC configuration) and other training sessions listed on the CMSD Professional Development Calendar.
Please note that it is the responsibility of the individual applying for CEUs to keep up with the CMSD 2018 -2019 Application Form and submit it to MUW no later than October 1, 2019 in order to receive credit for this academic year. Requests WILL NOT be processed from the Central Office. Teachers are responsible for submitting this information along with the $20.00 payment to MUW (address is on the form).
The maximum number of CEUs that can be earned is 5. As a reminder, 10 instructional hours equate to 1 CEU. CEUs can be earned for all sessions on the PD calendar unless otherwise indicated. Please note that the form must be completed in its entirety and contain all required signatures prior to submission to MUW. The session titles and dates should match those on the district’s Professional Development Calendar. Only building principals, Academic Coaches, and District Administrators are authorized to sign the Time In/Out portion of the form.
As a reminder, 10 instructional hours equates to 1 CEU.